So, before Conchs in Key West start emailing me nasty threats. OF COURSE Key Lime Pie is not native to Alaska! Do you know how well a lime tree would grow here?
I will say however, that Key Lime Pie is in short supply in The Last Frontier. There are many desperate people just craving that delicious sweet and tangy treat. Jeff makes a mean pie and uses a recipe that we found, of course, in Key West.
It’s requested by the masses at his office and mine. For potlucks, no need to sign up: Jeff and Janet, you’ll just bring the Key Lime Pie.
If they only knew how truly simple it is to make, no one would suffer from tropical taste withdrawals!
(Ok, I may be missing Hawaii a bit…throwback to Kona Sunsets.)
Key Lime PiePrint
Key Lime Pie
Bring home the flavors of Key West anywhere you crave this classic, tropical dessert!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Comfort Classic
For the Crust:
- 2 c. Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/2 c. Butter
- 1/4 c. Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
For the Filling:
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 c. Key Lime Juice
- 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
To make the crust:
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Crush graham crackers or purchase crumbs.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a bowl.
- Melt butter and pour over crumb mixture.
- Stir in well to ensure that butter is adequate to moisten crumbs.
- Press into 9 inch pie pan and bake for 10-12 minutes until edges turn brown.
- Remove crust from oven and let cool.
To make filling:
- Reduce or preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat egg yolks around 20 seconds.
- Add in sweetened condensed milk, stir slightly.
- Add key lime juice.
- Mix or blend until mixture thickens.
- Pour into shell and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and cool, then serve it up topped with some whipped cream, perhaps a little lime zest, and enjoy!
- Key lime juice can be purchased in most stores, or if you have access to fresh key limes, squeeze and use juice.
- If pressed for time, use a pre-made graham cracker pie shell.
- If you don’t want your pie edges over-brown, cover around edge with aluminum foil.
- Substitutions: Low/Non Fat Sweetened Condensed Milk, Egg Beaters 1/2-3/4 c.