Alaskan Smoked Salmon Dip
Seafood skeptics, do not turn away when you hear the words Smoked Salmon Dip! If you do, you’ll only be disappointed that you didn’t give this delectable dish a try.
It’s not a big secret that fresh salmon is a pretty big deal in Alaska. And smoked salmon follows as a close second because it’s a common way to preserve this rich, delicious fish.
Naturally, many people have their favorite versions of Alaskan Smoked Salmon Dip. In fact, last year at work we had a “dip off”.
I didn’t enter, but tried probably 15 dips. Each had it’s own original twist, but something was missing. So I’ve been playing around, developing my take on a simple smoked salmon dip recipe.
When I do recipe posts, if I’m not passing down a family tradition, I don’t just like to just post someone else’s recipe verbatim. Jeff and I always try to put our own spin on it or in this case, create an original recipe.
So, we took the flavors we like with cooked salmon and ideas from other dips I’ve tasted, then put them into a recipe that’s very easy to make. The core ingredients consist of:
- Flaked Smoked Salmon (not a huge fan of salmon mousse like dips, so I leave mine chunky).
- Cream Cheese and Capers, a nod to the flavors of a Lox and cream cheese bagel.
- Lemon Juice and Dill marry well together with baked salmon, and it’s no different in a dip.
- Garlic, Worcestershire Sauce, Salt and Pepper add punch and balance to the flavor.
We taste tested it Thanksgiving, 2016, and it was pretty much to die for if I do say so myself. Not overly fishy, but full of flavor, and creamy. My only other tip…use good quality smoked salmon.
*Can’t quite convince you to try some seafood, then check out this recipe for Artichoke Dip.
Delicious, simple ingredients combine to enhance the natural richness of Alaskan smoked salmon.
For the Dip
- 8–12 oz. Smoked Salmon
- 1–8 oz. package Cream Cheese
- 1/2 c. Mayonaise
- 1/2 c. Sour Cream
- 1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice or juice of 1/2 Lemon
- 4–6 sprigs Fresh Dill, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Capers
- 1 1/2 tsp. or 1 small clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped Green Onion
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Mix the Dip:
- Soften cream cheese, then blend together with mayonnaise and/or sour cream until smooth.
- Flake fillet of smoked salmon.
- Add lemon juice, dill, capers, garlic, green onions, Worcestershire sauce and flaked salmon to cream cheese mixture.
- Mix well. (For a smoother dip, pulse in food processor to desired consistency.)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to chill for at least an hour, (longer for better flavor) then serve it up with your favorite crackers, vegetables, or bread product and enjoy!
- Amount of Salmon depends on how much YOU like Salmon.
- Healthy Substitutions: low or non fat mayo or sour cream, low or non fat cream cheese. And/or use 1/2 amount of mayo and sour cream called for.
**Want to add your own twist? Other ingredients to try in addition to or in place of above are scallions, diced green chilis, jalapeno, Tabasco sauce, bacon, and baby shrimp.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Seafood