Cheesy potato goodness topped with bacon crumbs perfect for outdoor smoker, with a Dutch oven over coals, or indoor oven.
For the Cheesy Potatoes:
- 10 c. Shredded Potatoes rehydrated, cooked, or defrosted*
- 2–10.5 oz. cans Cream of Chicken Soup**
- 1 c. Sour Cream
- 2–3 c. shredded Cheese***
- 1 Tbsp. Onion Powder or 2 Tbsp fresh Onion chopped
- 2 tsp. minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cube (1/2 c.) Butter, melted
- 1 ~12 oz. pkg Bacon
- 2/3 c. Bread Crumbs
To Make the Dutch Oven Cheese Potatoes
- Fire up your method of cooking: Heat smoker to 350****, indoor oven to 350, or light ~ 25 charcoal briquets for Dutch oven cooking.
- While mixing ingredients, cook bacon crisp.
- Mix together shredded potatoes, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and 1/2 of melted butter.
- Spoon in and smooth out potato mixture in 12 ” Dutch oven or cast iron pan for smoker, indoor~ 6 qt enameled Dutch oven, or 9 x 13″ baking dish.
- Crumble bacon (depending on how fine you want it, dice or use food processor-what we do- to desired crumb size) then mix or pulse with bread crumbs.
- Top potato mixture with bacon & bread crumbs then drizzle remaining melted butter over top.
- Bake for ~ 45-60 minutes uncovered in smoker or indoor oven; outdoor Dutch oven-7 coals bottom/18 coals top.
- *For potatoes, use dehydrated (rehydrate before prepping recipe ~ 3 pints or 6 c. dehydrated), frozen defrosted, or fresh cooked, peeled and cut to your liking (shredded, cubed, sliced using 6-10 potatoes depending on size).
- **This recipe works well with Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Broccoli, Cream of Asparagus, and Cream of Celery. Be creative with additives like fresh veggies, additional meats etc.
- ***For cheese, I like the jack/cheddar blend so choose your favorite.
- ****When selecting woods for smoking this recipe we’ve found we like hickory or mesquite, and apple wood.
Keywords: Cheesy Potatoes, Dutch Oven Cheesy Potatoes, Cheesy Potatoes with Bacon, Funeral Potatoes