A simple easy recipe for a decadent breakfast, or quick dinner time bail out. Bakes well in conventional oven, smoker, or over the fire.
For the German Pancake
- 6 eggs
- 1 c. Milk (your choice)
- 1 c. Flour
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
To Make and Bake
- Pre-heat oven or smoker to 400 degrees. For coals, light ~ 29 (19 on top, 10 on bottom)
- Combine and mix together eggs, milk, flour, salt and vanilla.
- Place butter in 12 inch Dutch oven, cast iron skillet, or 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Melt in oven, smoker, or over coals being careful not to burn the butter.
- Once melted, pour egg mixture into pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown with puffy peaks.
- Top with your choice of toppings: Maple or Birch syrup, powdered sugar, fresh berries or fruit of choice, or a squeeze of lemon juice.
- For best results, make sure eggs are at room temperature and not expired.
- To smoke, I suggest apple or pecan wood but by all means try your favorite!
- For a thinner, less puffy pancake cut the recipe in half.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Cast Iron
Keywords: German Pancake, Cast Iron German Pancake, Dutch Oven German Pancake, Puffy Pancake