Alaskan Blueberry Cake from Scratch: Dutch Oven or Indoors
A moist cake packed with blueberries (or a combination of your favorites) cooked in a Dutch oven outdoors, or 9×13″ pan indoors.
- Prep Time: 20 min.
- Cook Time: 30-40 min.
- Total Time: 50-60 min.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Dutch oven
For the Cake Batter
- 1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp softened Butter
- 3/4 c. White Sugar
- 1/4 c. Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 c. Milk
- 1/2 c. Applesauce
- 2 c. Flour
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2–1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest (optional)
- 6 c. Berries fresh or frozen thawed (blueberries or add raspberries, blackberries, strawberries etc.)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
Light up ~ 25 coals for Dutch oven or pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
To make the Batter
- In a large bowl, cream together softened butter, sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time.
- Then add vanilla, milk and applesauce. Whisk together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt; mix together.
- Fold flour mixture into wet ingredients; combine taking care not to over mix.
- Fold berries and lemon zest into batter gently to avoid over crushing fruit.
- Pour cake/berry batter into greased 12 inch Dutch oven or 9×13″ pan
- For Dutch oven, place 7 coals on bottom and 18 coals on top. Bake for ~ 40-45 minutes, but start checking at ~ 20-25 minutes.
- For conventional oven, bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- Top with additional fresh berries, whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, or rum sauce if desired.
- If berries are particularly tart, prior to mixing with batter coat them with a little white sugar and allow to stand ~ 10 minutes.
Keywords: Alaskan blueberry cake, Dutch oven cake, mixed berry cake, cake recipe from scratch